Health Insurance Information
(For International Students Only)
All international students at UNM must have health insurance. Hospital admission, surgeries and medical care in general are all expensive and without insurance, you are held responsible for the entire cost. On this page, you will find information on health insurance policies and what actions to take when you get sick.
- UNM Student Health Insurance/UNM Human Resources
- UNM Student Health and Counseling (SHAC)
- Basic Insurance Terminology
- What to do when you get sick?
- International Student Health Insurance
Non-UNM International Student Health Insurance
The following companies offer different types of health insurance plans for travelers, international students and scholars in the US and for US students studying abroad. UNM requires all students and scholars to carry health insurance. Since information about individual plans changes frequently, please consult these websites and call the company to be sure that you have accurate information about exactly what the plan covers. J students, scholars and dependents are required by US law to have insurance with the following MINIMUM coverage. Check with the company to be sure they meet these requirements:
- $100,000 per person per accident or illness
- $25,000 for repatriation of remains
- $50,000 for medical evacuation
- No more than $500 deductible per accident or illness
- Coinsurance must not exceed 25% payable by the exchange visitor or sponsor
- Policy Rating requirements (ask the company about these requirements): The policy must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-"or above; a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A-“ or above; a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above; a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of “A-“ or above; a Moody’s Investor Services rating of “A3” or above.
TFG Global Insurance Solutions
Health Care Global 2000
ISO Student Health Insurance
The Lewer Agency
Assurant Employee Benefits (Dental)
International Insurance Professionals
World Travel Center
Cultural Insurance Services International
US Health Plans
I Student Insurance
The Harbor Group
Study USA Healthcare
The insurance company chosen must have a company rating of A- or above on one of the following scales: A.M. Best, Insurance Solvency International, Ltd., Standard & Poors Claims-Paying Ability, OR B+ or above from Weiss Research, Inc.