When to Contact GEO?

(For F-1 and J-1 Students Only)

GEO Request Form

This form should be used by current international students and scholars when requesting documents, letters, or signatures from the GEO. Please read all instructions on the form carefully and deliver the completed form with all supporting documents to GEO so that your request can be processed. We are sorry, but this form cannot be submitted on line at this time.

Click here to download the GEO Request Form.

The Global Education Office (GEO) is required to report information about you and your student status to the US government via the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). For this reason, you MUST contact our office whenever you make changes in your academic program, your address, ID numbers, name, etc. The consequences for not reporting this information can be very severe, so it is extremely important that you consult with us if you make a change or are unsure if a change in your circumstances needs to be reported.

International Student Advisors are available at GEO to help you with any questions you might have. Advisors are available to speak with you during walk-in advising hours from 1 pm-3 pm, Monday through Friday (except during University Holidays) during the Spring and Fall semesters. Walk in hours for Summer are Monday through Thusday, 1-3pm. Regular walk in hours resume in the first week of August. If you need to spend more than 10 minutes with an advisor, you should make an appointment. You can schedule an appointment by coming in to GEO, 2111 Mesa Vista Hall, by calling 505.277.4032 during regular office hours (Monday – Friday 10 am-5 pm) or by sending an email to geo@unm.edu.

Remember! You must allow a minimum of 5 business days for processing of any signatures, new documents, or any other form or work authorization from our office, so come in to ask questions well in advance of any international travel or start date of any employment!

You are required to Contact GEO if:

  1. You change your address, telephone number or name (you must come in or email within 10 days of making the change).
  2. You want to travel internationally and your I-20 or DS-2019 has not been signed by an international student advisor within the last six months.
  3. You want permission to work on or off campus in the U.S.
  4. You are thinking about dropping a class that will make you less than a full-time student or you are planning to enroll for less than full-time in any semester except summer for any reason!!!
  5. Any significant information changes on your I-20 or DS-2019 form (such as major, level of study, source of funding, name, citizenship, etc).
  6. Your I-20 or DS-2019 will expire in the next 90 days (you must speak with the advisor BEFORE the document expires).
  7. You decide to stop attending the University or you want to transfer to another school.
  8. You want to bring your husband, wife or children to the U.S.
  9. You violate the terms of your immigration status (“go out of status”) for any reason and want to be reinstated to student status.

It is recommended that you Contact GEO if:

  1. You want to or need to change to another immigration status (e.g., from J-1 to F-1 student status).
  2. You have questions about traveling outside of the US even for a short visit to Canada or Mexico.
  3. You have questions about applying for a new U.S. visa.
  4. Your dependent on F-2 or J-2 status wants to change to another immigration status (e.g., from F-2 to F-1 student status).