Students who are looking to enroll in courses and NOT earn a Bachelor, Master, or Ph.D degree. This status allows students to earn academic credit without being admitted to a degree granting area of the university. Students are responsible for abiding by the appropriate visa regulations for their studies.

  • Completed non-degree application.
  • Payment of the $20 International Non-Degree Fee.  Please submit the receipt along with your completed non-degree application.
  • No transcripts or previous high school or college work are required for admission to Non-Degree status; however, a transcript may be required to determine fulfillment of prerequisite course work.
  • No English proficiency exam results are required for admission to Non-Degree status.
  • Be at least 21 years old;
  • or
  • Be a graduate of a recognized high school and have been out of high school at least one year.
  • You are currently under suspension from UNM or any other institution.
  • You have exhausted your eligibility in University College and are not academically eligible to enter a degree-granting college at UNM.
  • You were previously an undergraduate student at UNM and have not completed an associate's or bachelor's degree.
  • You have been refused admission to degree-seeking status.

Important Information for Non-Degree Students

For those without a bachelor degree: Credits earned in Non-Degree status are recorded on a UNM permanent record and may be applied to an undergraduate plan of study if the courses meet specific degree requirements. Non-Degree students applying for undergraduate degree status must follow admission procedures and provide all items/credentials necessary. There is a 30 credit hour limit in Non-Degree status if you do not have a baccalaureate degree. Undergraduate colleges at UNM will not accept in a degree program more than 30 UNM hours earned while in Non-Degree status, nor is a college obligated to accept any hours that do not fulfill college degree requirements. Non-Degree students without a baccalaureate degree may not enroll in 500-600 level courses.

For those with a bachelor degree: There is no earned hours limit for students with a baccalaureate degree. In some cases, graduate credit course work earned while in Non-Degree may apply to a graduate degree – contact the specific academic department for details.