Skip to main content


International Scholars

The University of New Mexico hosts more than 200 International Scholars from countries around the world to conduct research and/or teach each year. The Global Education Office (GEO) is responsible for processing the immigration records of international scholars who are in the US in J1 Visa status, as well as for providing scholars orientations and other services. Department faculty and administrators who wish to invite a J-1 International Scholar should visit our UNM Departments section to learn about UNM’s sponsorship policies and find out how to request J-1 Visa related documentation. Please note that departments should submit all completed forms 3 months prior to the proposed start date of a scholar’s program. (Note: Individuals who are studying at UNM full-time in degree or exchange programs in F-1 or J-1 Student Visa status are referred to as 'International Students' at UNM. If you are an International Student, please visit the International Students section.)

Scholar Advisement & Walk-in Hours

You can talk to an International Scholar Advisor during designated walk-in hours Monday through Friday, 1:00 pm-3:00 pm. If you are unable to make it during these times or require an extended session, please schedule an appointment by phone at 505.277.4032.

When to Contact GEO

International Scholar Advisors are available at GEO to help you with any questions you might have.

The Global Education Office (GEO) is required to report information about you and your immigration status to the US government via the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). For this reason, you MUST contact our office whenever you make changes in your academic program, your address, ID numbers, name, etc. The consequences for not reporting this information can be very severe, so it is extremely important that you consult with us if you make a change or are unsure if a change in your circumstances needs to be reported.
Please follow this link for more information.