English Language Requirements
If English is not your first language or if English is not the official language of your home country, you must demonstrate English language proficiency. Most students will need to submit official English proficiency test scores (details below) that are LESS than 2 years old. Students seeking a graduate teaching assistantship may also be required to submit additional information to the graduate academic department.
To demonstrate English proficiency, students may take: the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the Duolingo English Test, Pearson Test of English (Academic), or Cambridge CPE or CAE. Official test results must be sent directly to the University of New Mexico. (The ETS school code for the University of New Mexico is 4845.)
|Exam||Minimum Score Required|
Duolingo English Test
Cambridge C1 Advanced/C2 Proficiency
- Completion of four years of US high school with a 2.5 GPA or better.
- Bachelor's or graduate degree from an recognized institution in English-speaking Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.
- 1 year of full-time study (minimum 18 credit hours) at a regionally-accredited US college or university with a 3.0 GPA or higher completed within the last two years.
- Completion of two semesters of freshman English composition (English 110 and 120 equivalent) with a grade of C or better at a regionally- accredited U.S. college or university. (These courses must be completed on an A-F grade scale.)
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited US college or university.
- Attendance in the Center for English Language and American Culture (CELAC) program at UNM with successful completion of full-time studies in the Academic Bridge level of English instruction (2.5 GPA or better), good standing, and approval of the academic graduate department
- If you are from one of the following English Speaking Countries (Click here to check Countries)
The University of New Mexico does not offer conditional admission at the graduate level of study.