English Language Requirements
If English is not your first language or if English is not the official language of your home country, you must demonstrate English language proficiency. Most students will need to submit official English proficiency test scores (details below) that are LESS than 2 years old. Students seeking a graduate teaching assistantship may also be required to submit additional information to the graduate academic department.
To demonstrate English proficiency, students can take: the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Pearson Test of English (Academic), or Cambridge CPE or CAE. Minimum score requirements are listed in the table below. Official test results must be sent directly to the University of New Mexico. The TOEFL code for UNM is 4845.
Graduate TOEFL (internet-based)
Graduate TOEFL (paper-based)
Graduate PTE Academic
The CPE or CAE test may also be accepted with a satisfactory score of 176.
- Completion of four years of US high school with a 2.5 GPA or better.
- Bachelor's or graduate degree from an accredited institution in the United States, English-speaking Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.
- 1 year of full-time study (minimum 18 credit hours) at a regionally-accredited US college or university with a 3.0 GPA or higher completed within the last two years.
- Completion of two semesters of freshman English composition (English 110 and 120 equivalent) with a grade of C or better at a regionally- accredited U.S. college or university. (These courses must be completed on an A-F grade scale.)
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited US college or university.
The University of New Mexico does not offer conditional admission at the graduate level of study.