Extending Documents

  • Current international scholars who wish to extend their J-1 program at UNM need to contact the J-1 scholar coordinator in their department in order to have their DS-2019 document extended.

  • The J-1 scholar coordinator will submit necessary forms regarding your extension request to GEO.Upon receiving the forms, GEO will process the extension request and issue a new DS-2019 document if the scholar is eligible for an extension of his/her J-1 program.

  • Once the new DS-2019 is issued, the scholar's J-1 program will be extended until the new date specified in the document.

  • The scholar will not need to leave the U.S. and re-enter or apply with USCIS in order to extend his/her J-1 program. However, if the scholar wishes to leave the U.S. and his/her J-1 visa has expired, he/she will need to obtain a new J-1 visa in order to re-enter in J-1 status. Please refer to the Travel and Visa Information link regarding specific requirements.