Leaving UNM Information

Below is information that you must know as you near the end of your J scholar appointment. Remember that by law you have a limited time to take action from the date you COMPLETE your appointment before your presence in the US is no longer legal. The program end date on your DS-2019 reflects the date you should COMPLETE your appointment. This date is important for interpreting the information in this handout. If you plan to leave your J-1 employment prior to the program end date listed on your DS-2019 you should contact an International Advisor in GEO immediately! Scholars who complete or terminate their program before the end date on their DS-2019 are no longer authorized to be present in the US and must leave the country immediately.

Condition and Information for J-1 Scholars

Your program end date is printed on your DS-2019. You have 30 days from the day you COMPLETE your appointment to do ONE of the following three things:

  • Leave the country,

  • Apply for a change to another immigration status with USCIS, or

  • Obtain a new DS-2019 form for a new institution and complete necessary immigration transfer procedures

This 30-day deadline is final and non-negotiable. To request an extension of stay, your department must contact GEO with the request at least one month before the document expires. Once you have completed or terminated your appointment, you can no longer legally enter the US with your DS-2019 form and the staff of GEO can no longer sign that form (this means that you should NOT plan to travel out of and return to the US with your current DS-2019 after you have finished your appointment). J-1 Research Scholars and Professors who complete their program after 11/18/2006 are subject to a 2 year bar on repeat participation (see section below), however scholars in these categories have a 5-year maximum period of program participation and you may consider requesting a program extension if you have not exceeded the maximum period of participation and would like to return to the US in your current J-1 status within that period of participation.

TAXES/PAYROLL: If you received payment from the university during your time here, contact the payroll office before you leave Albuquerque to give them your new permanent address before you leave so they can send you the appropriate tax documents at the end of the calendar year. Remember that even if you leave the country before tax reporting time (April 15), you are still required to complete US tax forms for your time in the US. You can look on the Internal Revenue Service website at www.irs.gov, contact GEO, or go to a US consulate abroad to obtain these forms. If you are a non-resident for tax purposes, the forms you complete may include: form 8843 and either form 1040 NREZ or 1040 NR if you earned money from UNM. For step-by-step instructions, or if you are not in Albuquerque at the time of filing, visit www.upenn.edu/oip/iss/tax/index.html

Requirements and Restrictions for Future Participation as a J-1 Professor or Research Scholar

  • 2 Year Bar on Repeat Participation: J-1 scholars in the Professor/Research Scholar category that complete their program after 11/18/2006 are ineligible for participation as a J-1 Professor or Research Scholar for a period of two years following the end date of their program.

  • 12 Month Bar: People who have been physically present in the US in any J status (including J-2 status) for all or part of the 12 month period immediately preceding a requested J program start date are not eligible to begin an exchange program as a Research Scholar or Professor. The 12 month bar does not apply to people who were in J Short Term Scholar status or were in J status for less than 6 months.

  • Home Residency Requirement: Some J-1 scholars are subject to a requirement called the Home Residency Requirement or 212e. This requirement is assigned to scholars who either have some type of government funding or whose country has their occupation on the skills list for that country (a list of occupations that that country says are in short supply and are needed at home). A preliminary determination about whether or not you are subject to the home residency requirement is made by the US consulate on the bottom left corner your DS-2019 form and on the J-1 visa. Those who have the requirement are prevented from changing to any other type of visa from within the US (exceptions are made for those changing to A or G visas). Those subject to the requirement are also required to return to their home country for two years before they would be permitted to enter the US with an H or L visa or as a permanent resident. Some scholars may be able to apply for and be granted a waiver of this requirement. The waiver process is long and the waiver may be difficult or impossible to obtain, so please speak with an advisor immediately if you are considering applying for a waiver of this requirement and have not already done so.

Please contact an advisor in GEO if you have any questions about these procedures.

Good luck in your future endeavors!

J-1 Scholar Notice of Departure Form

This Departure Form allows GEO to update an International Scholar's DS-2019. It is for Exchange Visitors (Professor, Short-term Scholar, Research Scholar or Specialist) at UNM who are planning to leave the University more than two weeks before the program end date on the DS-2019.

Out of Country Record Form

The Out of Country Record form is for those scholars who will be leaving the U.S. for more than 60 days but less than 1 year in agreement with the department to pursue the objectives of the exchange program. The SEVIS record remains ACTIVE. The Out of Country record form explains the procedure for obtaining authorization from GEO to create an Out of Country record. It must be signed by both the scholar and the department and accompanied by the J-1 Scholar Notice of Departure form and a letter from the department on department letterhead explaining how the program activities to be completed outside of the country are a continuation of the initial J-1 program objectives.