Non-UNM Health Insurance

Non-UNM Health Insurance

  • Scholars and dependents on J visas are required by US law to have insurance with certain MINIMUM coverage (listed below).

  • ALL scholars who are not covered by health insurance are in violation of UNM policy, could be subject to tax penalties, and are financially responsible for all medical charges incurred in the U.S.

  • Since health care in the U.S. is extremely expensive, you need to take these requirements seriously, think carefully about the kind of health care coverage you need while in the U.S., and purchase the appropriate insurance for your situation.

  • Internationals who are “residents for tax purposes” must have insurance that meets the U.S. Affordable Care Act (ACA) requirements. J Scholars who have been in the U.S. more than 2 calendar years in the last 6 are typically “residents for tax purposes” and need to meet these requirements or pay tax penalties.  If you are a tax resident, you need to ask your insurance company if your policy meets the ACA requirements below.

The following companies offer health insurance plans for international students and scholars in the US that meet basic J1 legal insurance requirements. These plans are emergency plans and do not cover much in terms of routine care. Since information about individual plans changes frequently, please consult the websites and call the company to be sure that you have accurate information about exactly what the plan covers. Your policy must meet the minimum requirements below.  

  • $100,000 per person per accident or illness

  • $25,000 for repatriation of remains

  • $50,000 for medical evacuation

  • No more than $500 deductible per accident or illness

  • Coinsurance must not exceed 25% payable by the exchange visitor or sponsor

  • Policy Rating requirements (ask the company about these requirements): The policy must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-"or above; a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A-“ or above; a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above; a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of “A-“ or above; a Moody’s Investor Services rating of “A3” or above.

ISO International Student Insurance
International Student Insurance    
International Student Protection   

Short-term Travel Medical Plans:
If you need to buy a short-term travel medical plan to cover you until your insurance policy starts, you can research plans on the Internet or try one of the following: