UNM Paid Employees

  • If you are being paid in the U.S., it is likely that your employer (your UNM department in most cases) will cover a majority of your insurance costs and a smaller percentage of the cost will be deducted from each of your paychecks before taxes.

  • To enroll in medical insurance at UNM, you must first choose one of the two providers. Lovelace and Presbyterian insurance companies will administer UNM's medical plan for the current academic year.

  • New employees have 60 days after hire to enroll in one of these two plans, otherwise, you must wait until the "Open Enrollment" period to enroll.

  • Open Enrollment is usually a 2-3 week period of time, once a year, in which you can enroll in a plan or make changes to an existing plan.

  • Be sure to choose the plan that best suits your needs. Remember, after initial enrollment or a qualifying change in status, you cannot change your insurance carrier until Open Enrollment, which usually occurs in May every year.

  • Paid employees cannot receive health services at the student health center on main campus and should go to LoboCare (http://hsc.unm.edu/lobocare), UNM Hospital, Lovelace or Presbyterian Hospital (depending on your plan some hospitals are recommended as in-network providers).

  • Information on the insurance plans for paid UNM employees (and other benefits)can be found on the HR webpage at http://hr.unm.edu.