Health Care

All J-1 international scholars and J-2 dependents are required by U.S. immigration regulations to have health insurance. If you will be paid by UNM, you may be eligible for UNM employee health insurance through your department. Otherwise, you must purchase health insurance from an external provider. Scholars’ health insurance must include a minimum coverage of $100,000 per accident/illness, $25,000 for repatriation of remains and $50,000 for medical evacuation. It is important that you check your insurance coverage carefully to be sure it meets these requirements. See the links below for information on health insurance requirements, procedures and other health-related information.