Skip to main content

J-1 Students

If you are here on a J-1 visa (DS-2019), you have 30 days from the day you COMPLETE your studies to do ONE of the following three things: (Once again, this is the day you finish all program requirements, not the date on the DS-2019 or visa)

  • Leave the country,

  • Apply for a change to another immigration status, or

  • Obtain a new DS-2019 from a new school or a new UNM program and begin attendance in that program in the next possible semester.

This 30-day deadline is final and non-negotiable.

You MUST apply for academic training BEFORE your document expires. Please check the expiration date on your DS-2019. If your DS-2019 will expire and you plan to continue studying at UNM, you must apply for an extension one month before it expires.

Planning to apply for academic training?
Apply and receive the authorization BEFORE you leave the country for any vacation time, or you will lose your eligibility for the training!