Child Care Options

Want to enroll your child in public school?


GEO has information on Albuquerque Public Schools including special programs for school age children.

In the City of Albuquerque, children begin public school at the age of 5 and are assigned to schools according to their home address. To find out which school your child should attend, or for additional information, call Albuquerque Public Schools (APS) at 505.880.3700 or check the website at: Parents should speak to APS if they want their child to attend a different school.

Documents required:

  • Passport or Birth Certificate (the child must be 5 years old before September 1st in order to enroll for kindergarten).

  • Current immunization record (a waiver can be obtained if you do not want your child to receive certain immunizations).

  • Proof of residency (e.g. utility bill or a copy of a rental lease).

  • You may also need to show proof of your identity and the current visa status of you and your child. This would include your passport (as well as that of the child) and immigration documents (I-20/DS-2019, visa and I-94). One parent may also need to provide a US social security number.

Other Care Options

  • Finding good care for younger children in the US can be difficult and expensive.

  • While UNM does have a childcare center that is very high quality, the waiting list is extremely long and many families never get into the program.

  • Those who meet income requirements may be able to get children ages 3 to 5 into “Head Start,” a publicly funded early childhood education program (there are a few Head Start programs for even younger children, but the waiting lists are extremely long). For more information about Head Start, call their administrative offices at 505.268.0024 to find out about a center near you.

  • NM Kids Childcare Resource and Referral at 505.277.7900 helps families locate childcare centers and in-home childcare near their place of residence.

  • You should think carefully about the kind of care you would like for your child and call them for a list of names and numbers in your area. Be sure to investigate the home or center carefully.

  • The New Mexico Children Youth and Families Department keeps records and evaluations of licensed centers and home daycares that you can review upon request.

  • In the near future, New Mexico will begin state-funded early childhood care. Check with APS about the status of these programs.