Rules for Dependents

F-2 Rules

  • The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) prohibits those in F-2 status from studying full-time at the post-secondary level.

  • Regulations for F-2s do allow part-time study that is “avocational or recreational in nature.”

  • Please check with GEO if you are considering enrolling in classes as a spouse or child of an international student.

  • F-2 and H-4 status holders are not permitted to work in the US under any circumstances. However many spouses on F-2, J-2 and H-4 visas find opportunities to enhance their career or personal objectives through volunteer work. If you are interested in volunteering in a specific field, you should research organizations in Albuquerque that provide services in that field and approach the organization(s) to ask if you can volunteer. If you would like to speak with someone about looking for volunteer work, you are welcome to speak with an International Advisor at GEO at 277-4032.

J-2 Rules

  • Those in J-2 status are not prohibited from full-time study at the post-secondary level.

  • Those in J-2 status may apply to USCIS for limited work permission, but processing times may be lengthy and permission is not guaranteed.

  • Please speak with an advisor at GEO or pick up our handout for information on applying for J-2 work permission.

Click here for more info