Resources for Dependents

There are many resources available for international spouses and families in Albuquerque both on and off the UNM campus. Some of these resources are listed below. For more information about resources or other issues that affect spouses and families, please speak with an international advisor in the Global Education Office (GEO) or attend a UNM International Couple’s and Scholars Organization (ICASO) event.

Organizations for Spouses


The UNM International Couples and Scholars Organization (ICASO) provides opportunities for spouses and partners from different cultural backgrounds to share cultures, learn cooking, enjoy games, potluck dinners and make friends. For more information call Linda Melville at 505.277.4032 or email her at

UNM Recreational Services Passport/ Lobo Card

  • This sponsored LOBO ID card, allows spouses and partners to access UNM recreational services (pool, gym, and recreational non-credit classes).

  • To obtain the card for a spouse or a partner, a student must be enrolled for the current academic term.

  • Students who are not in full-time degree programs or exchanges must ask their department about getting a sponsored card for their spouse.

Conditions to obtain a card:

  • Student and the spouse must be present to apply for the card.

  • You must show proof of partnership in the form of a marriage certificate, shared bank account (both names on the check), shared utility bill, rental lease, or a driver’s license showing the same address.

  • The cost is $40.00 per semester (recreational non-credit classes, such as aerobics, are additional).


  • To obtain the card you must first go to the Recreational Services office at the front entrance of the Johnson Gym, fill out an application, show proof of partnership, and pay the $40 fee.

  • Then go to the LOBO Card Office in the Student Union building, lower level (Tel: 277-9970), to obtain the card. If you have questions call Recreational Services at 277-0178.

ESL (English as a Second Language) Resources

  1. CELAC: The Center for English Language and American Culture (CELAC) at UNM offers college preparatory language training at approximately $3,800 per semester for full-time study.
     For more information, please visit the CELAC website at or inquire with us at GEO (2111 Mesa Vista Hall).

  2. CNM Community college: If you are interested in Basic English, the local community college (Central New Mexico Community College) offers low to intermediate level English classes free of charge.
    You can call them at 505.224.4282 or visit CNM English as a Second Language (ESL) for more information.

  3. Local Community: A local community group also offers free English conversation classes every semester at the Baptist Student Union, 401 University Blvd. For more information, please email Karen Zondlo at