Skip to main content

On Campus

International students in legal student status are allowed to work on-campus while they are enrolled at the university. They cannot work in on-campus jobs after completing their program unless they have applied for another type of employment permission. International students do not qualify for Work Study jobs, but can apply for other types of Student Employment including Graduate Assistantships.

How many hours can students work on campus?

  • Up to 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters. Note: the week of Spring Break also has a limit of 20 hrs.

  • Up to 40 hours per week during the summer and winter vacations.

What should I do before I start working?

All students need to provide the following documents to the Student Employment Office or the Office of Graduate Studies in the case of assistantships, in order to be employed at UNM.

  • Immigration documents (passport, I-20 or DS-2019 and I-94).

  • Hiring paperwork provided by the hiring department.

  • J1 students need an employment verification form issued by GEO in order to work on campus and must notify GEO when changing employers.

Other guidelines:

  • If you are a graduate student, you can contact various departments throughout campus for assistantship opportunities. For regular student jobs, see for current opportunities.

  • Please see our handout for information and procedures for On-Campus jobs and Assistantships. On-Campus Employment