An international applicant is anyone who is or will be studying in the United States with a non-immigrant visa (F1, J1, H1B, etc.). U.S. citizens, permanents, or anyone with refugee or asylum status must apply through the Office of Admissions.

Undergraduate applicants may apply here for admission. Graduate applicants may apply here for admission.  Graduate applicants must upload complete transcripts and degree certificates or diplomas from all post-secondary institutions attended as well as the specific academic department requirements to be considered for admission.

The University of New Mexico does not offer full scholarships (tuition and living expenses) to international students. However, the UNM does offer an out-of-state tuition waiver in the form of the International Amigo Scholarship to qualified international applicants.

All applicants will be considered for the International Amigo Scholarship. (A separate application is not needed, but an essay will be required.) Students are encouraged to apply by February 15th. Undergraduate students should visit this page for more information. Graduate students should visit this page for more information.

Graduate students may also be considered for an assistantship by a UNM academic department. Most assistantships are offered by a student's own academic department (Check with your department first.) However, a student can look for an assistantship in another department if he/she qualifies. More information can found at this page.

No, the photocopies must be attested (stamped and/or signed) by the record-keeping official of the issuing university. Photocopies of academic credentials that have been certified by a recognized international educational organization- such as the U.S. Educational Foundation, AMIDEAST, or the Institute for International Education will also be accepted.

Please send your official documents to this address:

International Admissions
Global Education Office
2120 Mesa Vista Hall
1 University of New Mexico
MSC06 3850
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001

If your first language is not English, you must submit official English proficiency exam results.

Yes, you may not need to provide English proficiency exam results if you meet one of the following exceptions:

  • Completion of four years of US high school with a 2.5 GPA or better

  • Undergraduate applicants only: ACT English score of 19 or better (test not REQUIRED for admission)

  • Undergraduate applicants only: SAT Verbal score of 480 or better (test not REQUIRED for admission)

  • 1 year of full-time study (minimum 24 credit hours) at a regionally-accredited US college or university with a 3.0 GPA or higher

  • Completion of two semesters of freshman English composition (English 101 and 102 equivalent) with a GPA of 2.0 or higher at a regionally- accredited U.S. college or university.

  • Bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited US college or university or a recognized institution in English-Speaking Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.
  • Attendance in the Center for English Language and American Culture (CELAC) program at UNM with a passing Institutional TOEFL score and a recommendation from the CELAC program director

Please allow for 5-7 business days from the arrival date of the documents for review and updating of your application checklist.

You can check your application status by logging in to your application and viewing the checklist. Undergraduate applicants can access their application via this link. Graduate applicants can access their application here.

Courses can be transferred from post-secondary institutions which are recognized by the Ministry of Education as degree-granting institutions. Please note that not all transfer credits will apply toward the UNM degree requirements. If admitted, it is strongly encouraged that you bring course syllabi and course descriptions with English translations, if necessary. This will aid in determining whether or not the transfer credit can be applied to a UNM degree.  Please see this page of the Registrar's Office site for more specific information concerning faculty review of international course work.  Please be aware that certain courses will not transfer to UNM. These courses include: college remedial, vocational, and personal development courses; courses completed with a grade of "D" or "F" equivalent; and English courses completed in non-English speaking countries.

You may defer your application up to three semesters by sending an e-mail to goglobal@unm.edu. Please be sure to include your full name, UNM ID number, and the semester you would like to defer your application to.